Some posts comprise compensated hyperlinks. Please learn this disclaimer
for more information.
Šunka u kruhu, or ham in bread in English is an inevitable traditional of the Croatian Easter desk in lots of properties in continental Croatia. With conventional Easter dyed eggs, scallions, and horseradish sauce, it should absolutely discover its place on the vacation desk this yr as nicely.
Ham in bread is a specialty that I’ve not ready for Easter to date as a result of within the east of Croatia the place I grew up it’s customary to organize a cooked ham for Easter breakfast which is served with do-it-yourself bread, boiled eggs, spring onions, and horseradish.
Primarily, ham in bread is a delicacy that doesn’t require an excessive amount of talent, so regardless that I used to be afraid it wouldn’t end up okay since I’ve by no means made it earlier than, after getting ready and baking it I spotted that it’s actually easy.
Ham in bread is a good possibility for Easter breakfast and since with this 2 in 1 transfer you get bread on the similar time, which absorbs the smells and tastes of ham throughout baking and is particularly advantageous and juicy, and ham that can also be particularly juicy.
For this recipe, a smaller piece of ham will go well with you greatest, just because it should bake sooner and nicer if the piece is smaller (ham of approx. 1-1.50 kg). Additional, the ham have to be cooked earlier than baking, and the golden rule for cooking ham is to cook dinner it for so long as it’s heavy, so if now we have 1 kg of ham, it’s cooked for 1 hour.
In essence, you can put together ham in bread with out pre-cooking, which implies that the ham in bread must bake for much longer, however then you definitely would first use much more electrical energy for the oven, and secondly, it might lead to a reasonably closely baked bread crust, particularly if you happen to do not need a lot expertise in baking bread.
So, with a couple of suggestions and with just a bit willpower, I imagine that you’ll already have the ability to bake the proper ham in bread this Easter.
Right here is learn how to make sunka u kruhu (ham in bread), an Easter dish widespread in components of Croatia.
- 1.5 kg (3.3 kilos) piece of cooked or baked ham
- 600 gram of all-purpose flour (1.3 kilos)
- 25 grams contemporary yeast dice or 1 pack dried yeast (7g)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 400 ml of heat milk (1.7 cups)
- 150 ml of oil (1/2 cup)
- 1 egg for coating
- The ham ought to be first cooked you probably have one that isn’t already cooked. Cook dinner the ham in a bigger pot in order that the entire ham is roofed with water. As soon as the water has boiled, cook dinner the piece so long as the ham is heavy. Eg 1 kilo of ham must cook dinner for 1 hour
- Flip off the flame and depart the ham to chill within the water through which it was cooked. That method, the ham will retain its juiciness. As soon as the ham has cooled fully, take it out of the water, drain and dry nicely with a towel
- For the bread, to start with, warmth the milk in a pot
- Put together and blend all of the dry substances in a bigger bowl after which add within the yeast and a few of the heated milk
- Let the yeast rise for about 10 minutes. As soon as the yeast has risen add the oil and the remainder of the nice and cozy milk and knead the leavened dough. Be ready for the truth that it’s a must to knead the bread vigorously and for not less than 10 minutes, as a result of that is the one option to make it gentle and gentle
- Flour the kneaded dough on all sides and depart coated in a heat place to rise and double in quantity. It takes about 30-45 minutes
- Now, coat the cooled and dried ham nicely on all sides with a overwhelmed egg. That is essential in order that the ham sticks properly to the dough and in order that it doesn’t separate from the bread after baking! The ham that separates from the bread after baking is difficult to chop and positively doesn’t look good and tidy on a tray.Switch the raised dough to a floured work floor or on the parchment paper, roll it out right into a rectangle about 2 cm thick. in the course of the rolled dough, place the cooked ham, which you might have beforehand coated nicely on all sides with a overwhelmed egg
- Wrap the ham within the dough over all sides in order that it’s fully wrapped and on the similar time push the dough along with your palms to the ham as a lot as you’ll be able to. Guarantee that the dough is on the backside of the ham in order that it doesn’t dissolve throughout baking
- Place the ham within the dough in a baking pot coated with baking paper of dimensions solely barely bigger than the ham itself to maintain its form throughout baking. If you don’t, the ham within the dough will unfold all around the tin, and you find yourself with an irregular and flattened form, which we do not need
- Bake the ham in a preheated oven set to 180ºC (350°F) for 20 minutes. After that, the ham in bread ought to be properly baked.
- Take it out, cowl it with aluminum foil or a lid and proceed baking for an additional 35 minutes and simply earlier than the top of baking, take out the ham once more, take away the lid/foil and bake till the top in order that the bread will get a pleasant golden crust
- Cool the baked ham in bread wrapped in a kitchen fabric in order that the crust doesn’t harden an excessive amount of. Serve the ham reduce into slices with boiled eggs, spring onions, and horseradish sauce or French salad